In some of our articles you may have heard us refer to The Russell Group. However, if you haven’t heard the term before, are newly exploring UK universities or are considering applying from overseas, here’s what you need to know and why you might consider a Russell Group university.
- The Russell Group represents leading UK universities
- Member unis have histories ranging from 50 to nearly 1,000 years
- Board members are the heads of the Russell Group universities
- The quality of education attracts talent from around the world – around 32% of students are currently of non-UK nationality
What does the Russell Group do?
Set up as a professional, incorporated organisation in 2007, its aim is to help ensure that its university members have the conditions they need to grow and to continue to make beneficial social, economic and cultural impacts through world-leading research and teaching.
Their focus is on:
- Sustainable funding
- Research and innovation
- Ensuring our universities can attract and retain global talent
- Making world-class education more accessible to students of all backgrounds
- Embracing international partnerships
- Championing research into green technology, while mitigating the environmental footprint of universities
What do students need to know?
With all of that in mind, what students need to know is that The Russell Group represents a standard of teaching that is recognised around the world.
As a result, they:
- Produce 68% of the UK’s world-leading research
- Teach a quarter of all undergraduate students
- Educate a third of all postgraduate students
- Train more than:
- A third of engineers
- Four out of five doctors and dentists
- 50% of linguists
- 58% of physical scientists
- 63% of mathematicians
Which universities belong to The Russell Group?
There are 24 universities represented by The Russell Group, many of which are well known and respected around the world. They range from the University of Bristol to the University of Cambridge, Oxford University to Imperial College London. You can see a full list on their website.
At CamVision, our goal is to help you find the right university for you, ensuring it gives you the best educational experience, the best platform on which to grow towards your career of choice, and the best place for you to enjoy your time at university. If you would like support on your university application journey, you can find out more about our university mentoring programme.